Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My First Experience With Country Music


pastedGraphic.pdf


Even though I live on Long Island, I am a huge country music fan. In fact, that is the only type of music I listen to. I have been listening to country music for about 5 years now. I am not even sure how I came to like it. One day I just decided to go to my public library and take out some country music cds. I did not know who any of the artists were, so I chose the cds with the cutest guys on the cover. Well, to my surprise I loved the music. I wanted to know more about country music, so I researched it on the computer. I found out about all the different artists. I also found out there are no country radio stations on Long Island, which means the only way I would be able to listen to country music is if I got the cds. Well, that is exactly what I did. I went back to my library and took out a ton of country cds. From that point on, country music is the only music I listen to.


Vocabuary:
  • Long Island- an island off of New York
  • Country Music- a specific genre of music usually found in the south or upstate New York.
  • Public Library- the library which is for all the people in the community to use
  • Take Out- to borrow from
  • Artists-singers
  • Cover- the top of the cd case with the singers name and picture
  • Researched- to look up, read about
  • Country Radio Stations- a radio staion that only plays country music
  • A Ton- a lot, many
  • From That Point On- after that
*The 'ed' represents a form of the past tense.

*Write five sentences using the past tense form 'ed'

Fill In The Blanks

1. ____________________, I will never eat squid again.

2. I cannot wait to go to the concert and see my favorite ___________________.

3. I asked my teacher if I could ___________________ this book from her library.

4. I live on ____________________, which is part of New York.

5. I did not like the picture on the ______________________.

6. There were ________________ of cookies on the table.

7. I have to go to the ______________________ to get a book for school.

8. I do not like __________________, I like rock music.

9. I had ________________ a lot about penguins, so I knew they were the only bird that does not fly.

10. I love when I go Upstate because I get to listen to the _________________________.

6 comments:

  1. Great story about your interest in Country Western! I love your Voki. Be sure to post a few sentences about a grammar point in your paragraph. For example, you could mention the past tense that you have used and ask your readers (students) to write a few sentences in the past tense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating!! It is surprising to hear you got into it without any external motivation. Are you familiar with the lap steel musical instrument? It's like a guitar that goes horizontally across your lap...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting story maybe you can recommend a good cd:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! I haven't met many Long Islanders that really enjoy country music. Although, when I went to school upstate, country music was all over the radio stations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although country isn't my favorite genre, there are many country songs and artists that I like very much. In fact, a few days ago I brought a Kellie Coffey CD to the gym with me and listened to it while I exercised. Are you familiar with her?

    I can also relate to this post because I have discovered some of my favorite music in unconventional ways. Perhaps I'll talk more about that in a future post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't say I'm a fan of country. However, I like how people have altered and changed country and fused it with other genres. Examples include Led Zeppelin and Beck. Somewhere in the middle between country and rock or blues or electronic or 8-bit, magic happens... great post. :D

    ReplyDelete